Benefits of Volunteer Firefighting
Becoming a volunteer firefighter won’t be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, but it will be one of the most rewarding. Volunteer firefighting gives you the chance to serve your neighbors in a way that most people can’t. At Lancaster County Fire Rescue, we take our responsibility to the community very seriously. Fighting fires is exciting and fulfilling for those who serve, but it can mean the difference between life and death for the people we help.
In return for your service to the citizens of Lancaster County, SC, volunteer firefighters are eligible for a number of benefits. These include:
- State income tax benefits (V.I.P. Program)
- Free annual physicals
- Membership in the South Carolina State Firefighters’ Association
- Free accident insurance
- Death & injury benefits
- Educational opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free equipment & training
- Length of service awards program
- Special achievement awards
- Annual incentive awards
- Many intangible benefits, such as the camaraderie of your fellow firefighters and the satisfaction of serving your community
For more information on the benefits available to volunteer firefighters, call Lancaster County Fire Rescue at 803-283-8888.
Due to the nature of the work you’ll be doing as a volunteer firefighter, there are requirements to join your local fire station.
- Be at least 18 years old. There is no maximum age. However, there are duties with fewer physical demands (such as on-scene support and administration) for our older volunteers. There are also opportunities for persons under age 18. For more information on our junior firefighters program, call 803-283-8888.
- Be in good health. Your required physical condition is relative to the duties you’ll be performing.
- Be of sound moral character.
- Be prepared and willing to serve in a position of trust and responsibility, both to your community and your fellow firefighters.
Our volunteers tend to be people with a high level of care and concern for their communities. Teamwork is the cornerstone of what we do, so you should be comfortable working as part of a team. You should also enjoy challenges and learning new things.
For more information about our volunteer requirements, call 803-283-8888.