There are many reasons why people choose to become volunteer firefighters in South Carolina. Most importantly, these first responders help their communities stay safe. But there are also many volunteer firefighter benefits that you may not be aware of. If you’re wondering how to become a firefighter in SC, consider these perks from Lancaster County Fire Rescue.
- Tax benefits – Thanks to South Carolina’s Volunteer Incentive Program, volunteer firefighters can receive certain tax benefits. This tax deduction applies to all volunteer firefighters. If you and your spouse volunteer together, you can both claim the deduction.
- Insurance benefits – Volunteer firefighters may also receive free accident insurance. Injury and death benefits are also available. While we hope that no one ever has to make this claim, this coverage will help you and your family if something should happen to you in the line of duty.
- Educational opportunities and tuition assistance – There’s a lot to learn if you want to fight fires. Many fire departments offer regular training. Some even offer tuition assistance if you want to further your education.
- Awards – Volunteer firefighters in Lancaster County are eligible for many different types of awards. These include special achievement awards, annual incentive awards, and awards for length of service. We are grateful for the many volunteers who serve our community and we’re proud to recognize the men and women who devote their time to helping others.
- The gift of serving – There is no greater gift you can give yourself than helping others. Volunteer firefighters get to make a firsthand contribution to the community. Strong bonds of friendship are often developed with fellow firefighters and local residents.