Did you know that candles are the number one fire hazard in America? These simple objects often get forgotten or overlooked. This is why it’s vital that you have fire safety practices in your South Carolina home. Your Lancaster County fire departments want to keep you safe. Here are some fire safety tips for candles from Lancaster County Fire Rescue:
- Keep flammable objects away from candles – Never place flammable items near any open flame, especially candles. As a general rule, keep these items at least 12 inches away from a candle.
- Blow out all candles before heading to bed – Before heading to bed, make sure that all candles are blown out. Most house fires happen at night. This is very true with candles since people are asleep and aren’t able to tend to them.
- Keep candles out of bedrooms – Try to keep candles out of bedrooms. Light candles in high-traffic areas of your home where more people can keep an eye on them. Kitchens and living rooms are good areas to place candles. However, do make sure that any candles – regardless of where you place them – are out of the reach of children.
- Invest in candle holders – Sturdy candle holders will keep candles from tipping over. They also contain the flame itself. Trim wicks so that the flame doesn’t reach over the top of your candle holder.
- Avoid letting candles burn to the bottom – We all love the smell of our candles and want them to last as long as possible. However, you should try to avoid letting a candle burn to the very bottom of its container. Candles don’t always burn out on their own just because the wax is gone. When you see that your candle is almost used up, buy a new one.
The volunteer firefighters at our Lancaster County fire departments care about your safety. If you’re interested in helping the residents of Lancaster, SC, join Lancaster County Fire Rescue or contact us to learn more.